Printable version: FOM PDF Syllabus
The “Foundations of Management Workshop” (FOM) is a skills development program. FOM is structured to give Team Leaders, Supervisors and first-time Managers some of the basic, fundamental skills needed to supervise and manage people. In addition to teaching some of the foundation skills, the FOM provides the participants with an opportunity to make written commitments to apply what they have learned in the workshop. The workshop is fast-paced, interactive and practical.
Team Leaders, Supervisors, First-Time Managers, and candidates for these positions.
Three (3) days. The program normally begins at 8:00 AM (08:00) and ends around 5:00 PM (17:00) on day one and two. Adjourn on day three around 2:30 PM. (An evening activity can be added on day one or two.)
Class sizes range from fifteen (15) to twenty (20) participants.
The FOM is conducted with the following objectives in mind:
- Present a clear, unified view of the supervisor/manager’s role in business today.
- Present useful information on important and timely Supervisor and Management skills that will increase individual employee productivity through consistent application of sound practices and techniques.
- Encourage the participants to embrace and to commit to ongoing personal growth and employee development by discussing and using the following major foundation skills: Dealing with Change, Managing Stress, Effective Goal Setting, Team Building, Communication Skills, Providing Feedback, Evaluating Performance, Discipline, Time Management and a better understanding of self and others.
- Reinforce every basic foundation skill with the completion of an “Employee Action Plan” stating what the participant will do to improve their current practices and activities. The “Employee Action Plan” states: 1) what the participant will do, 2) how they plan to do it, 3) when do they expect to finish.
- Fast paced, intense, but fun, with time to reflect on the discussion of each of the topics presented.